Saturday 18 February 2017

Privilege vs Necessity


Photo Courtesy: Google

I shift uncomfortably as a mass of sweaty bodies is pushed against me. There is a constant struggle to find some open space to stand in while being engulfed in the stench of the hot summer and perspiration. I’m dressed comfortably and appropriately but I can sense the hard gaze and stare of many men that are in my compartment, making me instantly feel anxious and embarrassed. Several men thrust against me as the metro comes to a grinding halt making a strangers hand push against my thigh. I feel an unsolicited hand on my shoulder as I get pushed aside from the exodus that occurs when the metro doors open to let out passengers at the station.

 Every woman who has travelled the metro has at some point faced this issue. They have felt the anxiety, nervousness and unease that comes with travelling in the normal compartment of any metro, a feeling that most men are completely unaware of. To those men, I would like to simply explain that the separate compartment for women that’s labelled in most metros is not in fact a privilege that we have obtained over time through unfair means but a necessity for the safety and the preservation of fundamental human rights.

The “privilege” that women have obtained over time of having separate coaches, rooms, seats in public positions, reservations in institutions has not arisen due to the need for unequal treatment or as an action to commemorate the superiority of women. It has risen since in a normal situation women were either mistreated in some cases or in others underrepresented. After repeated cases of harassment, theft, and assault women were finally given separate compartments in the metro so that they could feel safe and secure with the company of other women. Ever since the implementation of the separate coaches, there have been fewer reports of harassments and unsolicited advances towards women in metros. A majority of women also prefer to travel in the women’s compartment as it provides them more personal and physical spaces and is a comparatively less hostile and more inclusive environment as they are in the company of other women.
Content Writer: Aanchal Thakur

No comments:

Post a Comment